Monday, June 27, 2011

memories cont'd....

perhaps there is someone out there who can give me the names of each person in these pictures - please help fill in the blanks

pictures can be enlarged by clicking on them

in the above photo taken at Pujehun - the Kenema TTC plays Pujehun (1969). In this Photo (in white uniforms) are Juliana Bio (with the ball) and Dolly Peters (on right). I am refereeing (in the background) -

found the above picture of the Kenema Teacher's Training College Netball Team - 1969. This was taken at Pujehun prior to a match there. I had not remembered that I had this picture -

can anyone help me with ALL the names of students in these pictures?

ceremony prior to netball match between HRSS-Kenema and HRSS-Pujehun at Pujehun (above)

taken at Pujehun - 1969 (above)

above: Elizabeth Sama, Cecilia Banya, Agnes Bundu, Josephine ?, Cecilia Ngegba, Mary Fortune, Jalahan Sesay, ?, Agnes ?


The cheer probably had its origin in a nursery rhyme that I had learned as a child - but of this I am not sure. But that "itsy-bitsy wotten..." cheer became our netball team's end of the game tradition - and the team members performed it after every match - win or lose. And with each performance there was a dancing component and lots of fun. I am not sure that they really liked doing the cheer - but what they did like was the beat and rhythm of it all - they just wanted something to make their effort stand out and this seemed to do the job. As netball coach - in those days I think I was the only netball coach in the Eastern Province of Sierra Leone - I would run twice weekly, after school practices in which I made sure that anyone who wanted to be on the team was a member. As I learned the rules I also became the referee for any matches that we had. A conflict of interest? I guess so. But although the players could be quite competitive on the pitch - they did not take this game with all that much seriousness - they had it in perspective. Often, I heard them do another cheer as they walked off the netball court - "we win them for nothing." This has been explained to me in a variety of ways - but win or lose - the students on our team seemed to be able to leave the game on the pitch and not be either upset or overly ecstatic about the outcome. Was I a good coach? Unlikely. But the importance as I saw it was team work, and cooperation, and activity designed to give our school a sense of identity - and at least at this the whole effort was successful. Our competition, primarily with the HRSS in Pujehun was fairly even. My TTC Team also played the Pujehun TTC - and surprising to me - the TTC team was very good, a bit more serious than my HRSS students, and very competitive. The TTC students were older (in their twenties) and many of them knew the game well. As with the HRSS students anyone who wanted to play was placed on the team. The TTC squad was very aggressive and primed to beat their Pujehun rivals. Some of the members that I remember included Juliana Bio, Josephine Jones, Cecilia Jah, Mary John, and others - I regret that I can not remember all the team members. I do have a picture which I will post, of them at play (in Pujehun). The HRSS-Kenema team had members such as Princess Bundu, Agnes Bundu, Cecilia Banya, Jalahan Sesay, and others. I do have a team picture of them that I will eventually post.
There were a number of funny experiences that I had as a non-Catholic , essentially secular teacher at HRSS. I remember one morning, just prior to the primary school singing their morning songs that a very young primary student approached me as I was heading to school. She was small, very cute, and clearly wanted to say something to me as we were passing. I stopped and she proceeded to look me in the eye, hands together as if in prayer, and she said, "good morning sister (or sistah)."

I have been unable to remember all the names of students pictured above. If there is someone out there who may be able to help in this regard I would appreciate it. Thanks

No comments: