Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mama Mabinty




Mama Mabinty lived in our section of Dama Road across from the entrance to the Holy Rosary Secondary School and Teacher's Training College. She was of Mende and Mandingo background and in her yard she designed and made garrah cloth and wax prints for sale. She took on one of our students as a boarder in her house named Aminata Lahai. Mama Mabinty was a very proper woman - always very formal on my visits, and always very polite. I think she may have been Aminata's aunt, but the exact relationship I do not remember. From time to time I would drop by her yard to see what she was creating. She would allow me to watch while she went at her work. At the time when I lived there she must have been in her late 30's or early 40's. In the picture she is making a wax print. Behind her with the big smile is our student - Aminata Lahai and in the background is one of our teacher training students named Cecilia Jah.

No comments: